Monday, February 7, 2011

Menu Plan Monday

Just a GREAT reminder of WHY I MENU PLAN!

SAVES TIME!!

SAVES $$ MONEY!

IMPROVES NUTRITION!


Start Simple-Write down 5 meals your family likes-or-
5 meals you can start to plan with the ingredients you have in your icebox/pantry
-use your sale ads from the paper or online to create your menu/shopping list (this is the part that saves you $$)-be flexible {plan 5-7 meals and pick from those-instead of saying you will have ___ on Monday-that may throw people for a loop and then not continue}-continue once a week to set aside time to do this-take input from your kids and family members-if you don't blog and you need accountibility to do this EMAIL your menu's to me (cookwithbarb@aol.com)- I would be glad to praise you for your efforts-help you with recipe ideas or give your resources-and overall be your own cheerleader to help you stop asking yourself
at 5 PM "What's for Dinner?"

Here are my 5 menu ideas for the week!


I decided to go old school this week, and scan some of the thousands of recipes I have in books, tear-outs, or my faithful recipe card box.  As another fellow blogger mentioned in the past week, there are tons of recipes in fabulous blogs, and the internet site, but I never want to lose sight of some of my family's favorites and  those tried and true ones handed down!

So here is my 5 days of meals - no specific order - just when we feel like what's on the menu - and the shopping is done for the 5 below!

  •  Crustless Spinach & Feta Pie/Fresh Fruit (recipe below)
  • BBQ Grilled Chicken Quesadillas/Salad
  • Southwestern Grilled Chicken Ceasar Salad
  • Breakfast for Dinner (Mom's Pancakes, Chicken Sausage, Scrambled Eggs)
Crustless Spinach & Feta Pies (a quick take on Spanakopita)
(Foodnetwork Kitchens Cookbook)
courtesy of Food Network Kitchens Cookbook

1 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 10oz package frozen spinach, thawed
4 scallions, thinly sliced
3 eggs
1 T bread crumbs
2 t dried mint
1 1/4 t kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
pinch of cayenne
1/2 cup Feta cheese

Preheat oven 400 degrees.  Heat oil in skillet, and add drained spinach and scallions and cook, stirring until dry, about 4 minutes.  Transfer to colander and squeeze out any additional mositure.  Brush 4-6oz ramekins with olive oil and place on baking sheet.

Transfer spinach ingredients and rest of ingredients except Feta to a food processor-pulse until finely chopped.  Remove blade and stir in Feta.  Bake until edges are set, but slightly soft in center-about 20 minutes.  Turn oven off and leave for 5 additional minutes.  Invert onto plate and serve with a veggie salad or Tazatiki Sauce-Yum!

My variation:  I added a bit more Feta on the top, and a few cloves of garlic.  I also made mine in a 9x9 and doubled the recipe to have leftovers to share with my neighbor and have for breakfast!  I cut it into 12 pieces and served two per person.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post.